Friday, 24 March 2017

Reusing...........

About a month ago visited a nearby town, it had been on my todo list since the move.  It was a great morning out and enjoyed the leisurely stroll along the main street.  From the op shop I purchased a single bed doona cover for $3.00, loved the red and pink colours.

From the top part of the cover (red) I made these shorts, it was a new pattern and needed to see how the fit was before using the cotton canvas I purchased.
High waisted fitted pattern and top of doona cover.

Finished.
From the underside I made a popover dress, shortened the armholes, added patch pockets ,in red, and now have a lovely cool popover to wear any season, well almost.
Finished dress

Another op shop find.

Thursday, 23 March 2017

Rug, Rain and ..............

March is moving along, and I have been a little distracted the past few weeks.

February was the driest since records have been kept, why did we move? Actually we love it here at the country beach.  Anyway this month there has been so far nearly 100ml of rain and about 50 this past week. Yay.  Lovely green grass instead of that brown crackling turn to dust mess. From the front door.

Looking straight ahead.
Looking to the right.
Have kept working on the vintage baby shawl, it is now finished and soon to be listed in my Etsy store.
Why I have been distracted, well have been helping out here.  This forum opened on Monday of this week, has been a very busy couple of days and such fun.


Saturday, 11 March 2017

Hooking update and soap

The shawl is slowly getting  larger about three quarters of the way.
Today I cut the soap made yesterday, I used up the last of the tallow hiding in the freezer. Practiced making swirls on top, need to refine my technique a little. 7% superfatted with winter on the way, I will need the extra moisture.
9 cakes for our use and 2 for giving to friends to try.

Monday, 6 March 2017

Week 3 and 4

Adding the sleeves and finishing.  Was going to add flutter sleeves, not such a good look.  When I sewed these in they stuck up and out like weird butterfly wings, so out they came very quickly.
Flutter sleeves, cut on the bias.
I really wanted sleeves on this top, so I browsed through my patterns and wardrobe for inspiration.  Found it, a split sleeve, just needed to adjust the pattern a little and it would work.  It did indeed.
Pattern I was adjusting to fit my needs.
Sleeve sewn in.
Here is the finished top, ready to wear once the summer heat starts to fade, I am wondering if that will ever happen.